Having a chiseled torso isn't just sexy, it is also a badge of honor that tells the world you have been working hard on keeping fit and taking good c
Having a chiseled torso isn’t just sexy, it is also a badge of honor that tells the world you have been working hard on keeping fit and taking good care of your body. On the other hand, carrying that extra weight around your belly not only means that you’ve been skipping your gym sessions. It also means you are at risk of various diseases.
Having a large paunch increases your risks of high blood pressure, heart diseases, diabetes, heart attack, Alzheimer’s disease, and stroke. Plus, belly fat affects your hormones including your testosterone levels. To get rid of that extra visceral fat, here are six of the most recommended belly fat-burning exercises.
The burpee is an explosive exercise that targets several muscles all at once. It’s a great workout for revving your metabolism, which means you will be able to quickly burn fat and lose that pot belly. Try ten quick reps by following these steps.
- Assume a standing position and spread your feet apart.
- Assume the frog position by lowering your upper body and placing your palms on the floor.
- Push your legs backward to get into a push-up position.
- Perform 1 push-up.
- Jump back into the frog position.
- Stand up and perform 1 jump.
The mountain climber exercise, just like burpees, also targets several muscle groups. With this routine, you’ll be working out not only your upper and lower abs but also your glutes, quads, and hamstrings. Try doing 25 repetitions for two sets.
- Assume the plank position and make sure that your elbows are placed directly below your shoulders.
- As you lift your right foot, bend your knee and pull it close to your chest.
- Do the same for the other side.
To maximize the calorie-burning effect of this workout, try doing it as if you’re running. It will be hard work on your muscles, but if you do it every day, you’ll certainly see immediate results. This exercise engages your core every time you lift a foot, so it’s really great for losing belly fat.
If you’ve got the equipment, the kettlebell swing is an excellent workout for speeding up your heart rate and burning calories. Every repetition will allow you to engage various fat-burning muscles like your quads, glutes, and core.
- Stand with your feet spread slightly apart.
- Hold a kettlebell in front of you. Make sure you use both hands to carry the kettlebell and let it hang in between your legs.
- Bend forward at your hips.
- Swing the kettlebell up to shoulder level. As you swing, make sure you tense your glutes and you thrust your hips forward.
- To keep your feet in place and counter the momentum of the kettlebell as you swing, engage your core and clench your abs.
When your goal is to lose your belly fat, you can’t avoid crunches as they’re a great way to exercise your lower and upper abs. You can start with two sets of 12 repetitions each, and then you can increase the number of reps and sets later on.
- First, lie flat on your back.
- Bend your knees and lift both your feet.
- Hold the back of your head with your fingers and lift your head.
- One repetition entails moving your upper body and bringing your head close to your knees.
Crunches are your ole reliable when it comes to working out your abs. To make it more fun, try doing bicycle crunches too. This exercise not only works wonders for your lower and upper abs, but it’s also great for your quads, hamstrings, glutes, and obliques. Two sets of 12 reps are recommended.
- Assume the same starting position as crunches.
- Instead of keeping your knees raised together, push one leg down while extending it straight.
- As you extend one leg, curl up and twist your upper body to the opposite side.
- Do the same for the other leg.
Medicine Ball Slam
Medicine ball slams work out all the muscles from your neck down to your hips. If you do it quickly enough and with more power, you’ll be able to increase your heart rate really fast so you can burn excess fat more quickly.
- Assume a standing position and keep your feet about shoulder-width apart.
- Hold the ball aloft over your head using both hands.
- Slam the ball towards the floor using as much power as you can.
- Catch the ball and do another repetition. You can start off with 10 reps per set.
Tips for Getting Rid of Belly Fat
Working out is a great way to lose some of that extra weight around your middle and keep your body toned. However, watching what you eat is also necessary if you’re really serious about getting rid of your belly fat. Here are some tips for you.
- Eat more foods rich in soluble fiber
Foods that are rich in soluble fiber are known to help in weight loss because they make you feel full. Plus, they also help slow down the passage of food through your digestive system, as well as help you fight belly fat.
Studies indicate that the more soluble fiber you eat, the less likely you’ll gain belly fat. The best high-fiber foods for losing weight include flaxseed, legumes, Brussels sprouts, broccoli, lima beans, raspberries, guavas, figs, artichokes, pomegranate seeds, and blackberries.
- Avoid foods high in trans fats
If you don’t want your pot belly to grow bigger, you need to avoid foods that contain a lot of trans fats such as margarine, packaged foods, spreads, and baked goods.
Trans fats have been found to increase the risks of insulin resistance, thus leading to diabetes. It’s also associated with cardiovascular diseases, inflammation, and abdominal fat gain.
- Avoid drinking alcohol in excessive amounts
If you’re guzzling several bottles of beer every time you get off work, your beer belly is just going to grow bigger and all those sessions at the gym will just go to waste.